The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon

HGTP Forums

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Cresselia

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Cresselia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresselia   Cresselia EmptySat Jan 12, 2008 6:20 am

Aah, here we finally are,. Is the first page of the old ONM one going to be C&Ped over?
Anyway, before I post this, I can't take any credit for the set as I saw it on Random WiFi, still, if it weren't for my Natural Cure Starmie, I'd've been completely crippled from the start. Credit goes to some Japanese Man:

Damn Clever Status Cressalia ala Maxz
Cressalia @ Burn Orb
Cresselia Dpffa488
Bold/Calm
252 HP/ (108 Defense / 148 Special Defense) or vise-vera, depending on nature. Calm is preferable though, because you've got burn (that'll even hit Fire types) to scare of Physical threats.

Rest
Phycho Shift
Sleep Talk
Psychic/Thunder Wave

What it Does:
This is, IMO, the ultimate status inflicter. It comes out, gets burned, and can either choose to attack with Psychic (although with the EVs I've given, it wont be too powerful), cripple a sweeper with T. Wave or use Psycho Shift to rid itself of its Burn, and cripple any attacking threats. Once it's sustained a lot of damage, it can completely recover all itself with Rest. This usually comes with the downside of sleeping for two turns, but thanks to Sleep Talk and Psycho Shift, it has a 1 in 3 chance of not only waking up, but putting its opponent to Sleep, yet another status effect. Rest is a two in one really, full health (that with Cressalia's massive defenses is really quite hard to cut down) and putting your opponent to Sleep. Psychic does enough damage on a sleeping Pokemon/one that can feebly scratch you due to Burn's HP and Attack drains to be worth its while, while Thunder Wave adds yet another crippling move to its arsenal, it's up to you which you use.

How to Beat it:
Weavile can do a lot of damage with Night Slash if it got in before being Burned, and can't be hit by Psychic. If Cressalia's asleep (with Psychic over T. Wave) it's got a 2 in 3 chance of getting away scott free without being put to sleep or attacked, so this may be an opportunity worth being taken. If it's the Thunder Wave set, it's got a 2 in 3 chance of being Slept or having it's speed halved, which isn't as nice, but even when paralyzed, it should be able to able to do some damage.

Stuff with Natural Cure can also switch in and out like Yo-Yo to get rid of Burn.

Spiritomb can neglect Burn (although the damage given isn't nice) and Thunder Wave (although it wont like not being able to attack) more than other 'Mon as it doesn't use Speed and Attack too much. It wont get hit by Phychic and usually has two SE moves on it against Cressalia.

Code:
[color=blue]Damn Clever Status Cressalia[/color] ala Maxz
[color=blue]Cressalia @ Burn Orb
[img]http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpffa/dpffa488.png[/img]
Bold/Calm
252 HP/ (108 Defense / 148 Special Defense) or vise-vera, depending on nature. Calm is preferable though, because you've got burn (that'll even hit Fire types) to scare of Physical threats.

Rest
Phycho Shift
Sleep Talk
Psychic/Thunder Wave[/color]

[b]What it Does:[/b]
This is, IMO, the ultimate status inflicter. It comes out, gets burned, and can either choose to attack with Psychic (although with the EVs I've given, it wont be too powerful), cripple a sweeper with T. Wave or use Psycho Shift to rid itself of its Burn, and cripple any attacking threats. Once it's sustained a lot of damage, it can completely recover all itself with Rest. This usually comes with the downside of sleeping for two turns, but thanks to Sleep Talk and Psycho Shift, it has a 1 in 3 chance of not only waking up, but putting its opponent to Sleep, yet another status effect. Rest is a two in one really, full health (that with Cressalia's massive defenses is really quite hard to cut down) and putting your opponent to Sleep. Psychic does enough damage on a sleeping Pokemon/one that can feebly scratch you due to Burn's HP and Attack drains to be worth its while, while Thunder Wave adds yet another crippling move to its arsenal, it's up to you which you use.

[b]How to Beat it:[/b]
Weavile can do a lot of damage with Night Slash if it got in before being Burned, and can't be hit by Psychic. If Cressalia's asleep (with Psychic over T. Wave) it's got a 2 in 3 chance of getting away scott free without being put to sleep or attacked, so this may be an opportunity worth being taken. If it's the Thunder Wave set, it's got a 2 in 3 chance of being Slept or having it's speed halved, which isn't as nice, but even when paralyzed, it should be able to able to do some damage.

Stuff with Natural Cure can also switch in and out like Yo-Yo to get rid of Burn.

Spiritomb can neglect Burn (although the damage given isn't nice) and Thunder Wave (although it wont like not being able to attack) more than other 'Mon as it doesn't use Speed and Attack too much. It wont get hit by Phychic and usually has two SE moves on it against Cressalia.
Back to top Go down
noodles

Cresselia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresselia   Cresselia EmptySat Jan 26, 2008 2:18 pm

noodles in the house.

Anyway, about that Cresselia set - Firstly, playing around with three status effects is kind of pointless as you can't Burn a Sleeping Pokemon or whatever. Also, once you've Psycho Shifted Sleep to one Pokemon, you can't use Sleep Talk due to the potential of breaking the Sleep Clause.

Another counter to it would be a Cleric Blissey as she can keep switching in to any attack and heal the team. Natural Cure then gets rid of any status effects picked up during the switch in. Sure you could out PP her, but you're never going to kill her, while she could CM / Seismic Toss you to death.

I'll post some of my movesets in a bit when I can be bothered.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Cresselia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresselia   Cresselia EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 3:38 am

noodles wrote:
noodles in the house.

Anyway, about that Cresselia set - Firstly, playing around with three status effects is kind of pointless as you can't Burn a Sleeping Pokemon or whatever. Also, once you've Psycho Shifted Sleep to one Pokemon, you can't use Sleep Talk due to the potential of breaking the Sleep Clause.

Another counter to it would be a Cleric Blissey as she can keep switching in to any attack and heal the team. Natural Cure then gets rid of any status effects picked up during the switch in. Sure you could out PP her, but you're never going to kill her, while she could CM / Seismic Toss you to death.

You wake up after you Psycho Shift your Sleep onto the opponent, but I understand after you've Rested for the second time, it would become illegal. 3 Different Status effects are more for usage on different Pokemon as you'd normally switch out after your job is done, only to switch in again when another Pokemon needs statusing. I do understand that it could be a bit of a handful however, which is where using Psychic as a 4th move moves in. I think if using Psychic, however an investment in Cressalia's Sp. Attack may be needed. I really should have put that in.

Thanks for the contribution. We don't want sets with major flaws entering the list. The Gengar one needs a wee bit of improvement IMO.
Back to top Go down
noodles

Cresselia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresselia   Cresselia EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 11:17 am

Maxz wrote:
noodles wrote:
noodles in the house.

You wake up after you Psycho Shift your Sleep onto the opponent, but I understand after you've Rested for the second time, it would become illegal. 3 Different Status effects are more for usage on different Pokemon as you'd normally switch out after your job is done, only to switch in again when another Pokemon needs statusing. I do understand that it could be a bit of a handful however, which is where using Psychic as a 4th move moves in. I think if using Psychic, however an investment in Cressalia's Sp. Attack may be needed. I really should have put that in.

Thanks for the contribution. We don't want sets with major flaws entering the list. The Gengar one needs a wee bit of improvement IMO.
Ditch Sleep Talk then since it's a one time use really. Something with a sleep-inducing move would do it far better. Replace the Burn Orb with Leftovers or something to avoid constantly burning Cresselia if the opposing Poke is already Paralysed/Burned/Sleeping. Thunder Wave is still a decent option for Support, though by this point, you may as well just use the generic wall set.

I think it was an interesting idea, but just not really feasible.

Also, another counter is Heracross. He would walk all over this set by switching in to any status affect, getting the Guts boost and Megahorning her to death. Umbreon can also Mean Look you, take the burn and then Taunt you out until you're own Burn kills you while he takes nothing from Psychic.

@Konrad / Raylax - If we're setting up a thread for each Pokemon, I'd advise only letting Mods/Admins do it. Between us we could get all 100ish (somewhere around there) up easily enough. If we let anyone start threads then it's inevitably going to lead to duplicate ones. Also, each thread will probably need updating to mvoe suggested movesets and their changes into the first post for comments, etc. Between us we could probably do this. It'd be hard with the mass influx of sets at the start, but should even out over time. Finally, does this forum purge threads automatically? If so, you'll need to Sticky everything.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Cresselia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresselia   Cresselia EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 1:54 pm

By doing all that you end up with a boring old standard Cressalia set. I've been up against the set (admittedly, on Random WiFi with no Sleep Clause) and if it weren't for my Natural Cure Starmie, it would have screwed up my entire team even faster. I had to keep switching it in to protect my Mamoswine and Gallade being burned, but eventually had to let the latter get burned (and Night Slash it) as I never would have done anything to it with Starmie. Sleep Talk gives it the ability to (randomly) do some damage and let Cressalia get off with a full recovery.

This Cressalia will only have to be in as long as it has to do it's job (inflict status), then be out again, leaving you plenty of time to take out the Sleeping Pokemon.

I'd also like to add that Rest would only be used as a last resort and the only time when Cressalia is in need of using it is once it has Burned/Paralyzed a decent amount of Pokemon as it only takes damage on the switch in (which, if on EQ would be nothing) and the turn the opponent attacks, if it's a switch, it would be nothing again.

I don't like to argue, but having fought it, I can say it did a bloody good job. Also, like Benim's Starmie (which isn't perfect due to HP Ground), it's different, and therefor far more unpredictable.

On a slightly lighter note, thank you for the counters. They're really good.
Back to top Go down
noodles

Cresselia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresselia   Cresselia EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 3:08 pm

Maxz wrote:
By doing all that you end up with a boring old standard Cressalia set. I've been up against the set (admittedly, on Random WiFi with no Sleep Clause) and if it weren't for my Natural Cure Starmie, it would have screwed up my entire team even faster. I had to keep switching it in to protect my Mamoswine and Gallade being burned, but eventually had to let the latter get burned (and Night Slash it) as I never would have done anything to it with Starmie. Sleep Talk gives it the ability to (randomly) do some damage and let Cressalia get off with a full recovery.

This Cressalia will only have to be in as long as it has to do it's job (inflict status), then be out again, leaving you plenty of time to take out the Sleeping Pokemon.

I'd also like to add that Rest would only be used as a last resort and the only time when Cressalia is in need of using it is once it has Burned/Paralyzed a decent amount of Pokemon as it only takes damage on the switch in (which, if on EQ would be nothing) and the turn the opponent attacks, if it's a switch, it would be nothing again.

I don't like to argue, but having fought it, I can say it did a bloody good job. Also, like Benim's Starmie (which isn't perfect due to HP Ground), it's different, and therefor far more unpredictable.

Please don't think that I'm neglecting your effort - uniqueness is very much appreciated and I fully encourage it. I just really doubt that this set will work.

All this set does is inflict status and it can only hit each enemy Pokemon once before it becomes useless. Ignore random Wifi battles, as these sets are for ONM standard rules where there is a Sleep Clause. Anything can counter this set once status is absorbed. Any special attacker can take Burn/Paralysis and then strike back now that Cresselia can only stall.

I admit that its an interesting and unpredictable set, but its just way too limited after the first move really.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Cresselia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresselia   Cresselia EmptySun Jan 27, 2008 3:56 pm

noodles wrote:
Maxz wrote:

Please don't think that I'm neglecting your effort - uniqueness is very much appreciated and I fully encourage it. I just really doubt that this set will work.

All this set does is inflict status and it can only hit each enemy Pokemon once before it becomes useless. Ignore random Wifi battles, as these sets are for ONM standard rules where there is a Sleep Clause. Anything can counter this set once status is absorbed. Any special attacker can take Burn/Paralysis and then strike back now that Cresselia can only stall.

I admit that its an interesting and unpredictable set, but its just way too limited after the first move really.
Okay, I understand that Random WiFi Battles and standard Battles are two completely different kettles of fish. I thank you for your commitment and hopefully we'll see it on other threads!

@ Raylax: Hi! It may be a page too late, but I accidently signed up were before the HGTP was announced and asked to get banned until the proper opening time.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cresselia Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cresselia   Cresselia Empty

Back to top Go down

Cresselia
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon :: Fuego Ironworks :: 4th Gen Moveset Analysis-
Jump to: