The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon

HGTP Forums

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Item Analysis - Health Restoration

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chip

Item Analysis - Health Restoration Empty
PostSubject: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 11:09 am

Item Analysis – Health Recovery Items

Black Sludge

This is a decent recovery item. The only downside to this is that only Poison types receive HP. As a result of this, Poison Trickers can help themselves to a big advantage. If tricked with another item, providing that the other is not a Poison type, it can help with wearing down the opponent. Also, another upside to this is that there are 4 Poison types in the OU metagame – Roserade, Weezing, Tentacruel, and Gengar. Annoyingly, none of these can learn Trick, (there aren't any Poison types that can anywhere in the metagame) and so Black Sludge is not a Trick option.

Leftovers (Or Lefties)

Leftovers. Everybody knows about these beauties. It is the bog standard and easy way to restore HP during a game. It restores 1/16th HP every turn – so, for example, a Blissey with the max HP (715, I believe) will get a whopping 44HP every turn with Leftovers. This means this is probably the most effective health restoring move in the game. All hail Leftovers!

Shell Bell

This is, sadly, the worst (in my opinion) item, as it only receives a health boost if, and when, it hits the target with an attack. And even then, it restores 1/8th of your max HP every turn. Therefore, it is not an option for things like DDancers or cursers. It is a shame really, that the only other serious option to Leftovers (Apart from berries) is not really successful in the practicality department. Curse you, item clauses!

Oran Berry

Restores 10 hp. Not an option. Just no.
Locations: (If you really want it): Floaroma Town, Route 205 (South), Flower Shop, Always on a wild Shuckle, 50% chance of finding one on a wild Clefairy, Clefable or Cleffa, and a 5% chance of finding one on a wild Raichu, Sentret, Pichu or Zigzagoon

Sitrus Berry

Well well, what have we here. A nice little berry that has a one time use of restoring 1/4 of your max HP, but only after your HP goes down below 1/2. But remember, this is a one time use berry and aferwards you have lost your item slot for the battle and get no more recovery. So, on some odd occasion, this is a (somewhat) viable option.
Locations: Route 210, Route 214, Berry Master, and a 5% chance of finding one on a wild Linoone, Bibarel or Furret

Please say if there is anything you disagree with. I've reposted this from the old thread. There is also a Plate Analysis, but i'll wait till there is such a thing as a legit Arceus first.

Last edited by on Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 am

Weezing and Tentacruel are also frieds with OU and both more suited to Black Sludge than Roserade.

And could you state how much Black Sludge and Shell Bell restore and take away?
Back to top Go down
Raylax
Admin
Admin
Raylax

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 11:54 am

Aha, good information. Are these the only recovery items? I'd suggest putting in Oran/Sitrus berry, simply because they have little use in the metagame, like Shell Bell, so no-one trys using one because 'it works well in the main game.' Trust me, I've battled people who thought that...
Back to top Go down
https://hgtp.forumotion.com
noodles

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 12:13 pm

Only 1 Poison type in OU metagame? WTF! Roserade was only made OU recently too....

Here's a proper list:
Tentacruel
Gengar
Weezing
Roserade

The rest of it's alright. Perhaps consider adding Health Restoring moves?
Back to top Go down
Raylax
Admin
Admin
Raylax

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyTue Feb 05, 2008 12:19 pm

noodles wrote:
Only 1 Poison type in OU metagame? WTF! Roserade was only made OU recently too....

Here's a proper list:
Tentacruel
Gengar
Weezing
Roserade

The rest of it's alright. Perhaps consider adding Health Restoring moves?

That would fall under move analysis. Chip is our Item Analysis writer. But a good point, nonetheless.
Back to top Go down
Chip

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptySun Feb 17, 2008 10:12 am

Updated.
  • Changed The part about poison in the OU MG.
  • Added amount of health recovery for Black Sludge and Shell Bell
  • Added Oran + Sitrus Berries.
Back to top Go down
Raylax
Admin
Admin
Raylax

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptySun Feb 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Leftovers can also be bought from the Battle Tower, though I'm unsure how many points they cost...
Back to top Go down
Deepblade

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 6:12 am

Raylax wrote:
Leftovers can also be bought from the Battle Tower, though I'm unsure how many points they cost...

They're also obtainable from Pick Up Linoones, Phanpys, etc. I think you need to be level 80+, though...
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 9:50 am

I'm still a bit miffed about the Black Sludge. I can't yet see how much it restores and you seem to spend half of the post going "it's really really good for poison types to Trick onto other types, yep, really quite excellent. Awesome, in fact" only at the end to say "but it's not possible". You also seem to say "sadly there are only 4 poison types in OU, but it's really lucky that there are 4 poison types". It's just a bit confusing.
Back to top Go down
noodles

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyMon Feb 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Chip wrote:
Black Sludge

This is a decent recovery item. The only downside to this is that only Poison types receive HP. As a result of this, Poison Trickers can help themselves to a big advantage. If tricked with another item, providing that the other is not a Poison type, it can help with wearing down the opponent. Also, another upside to this is that there are 4 Poison types in the OU metagame – Roserade, Weezing, Tentacruel, and Gengar. Annoyingly, none of these can learn Trick, (there aren't any Poison types that can anywhere in the metagame) and so Black Sludge is not a Trick option.
Maxz is right about this paragraph,it really needs redoing.

Make up your mind whether or not its good that there are only 4 Poison types. Really it's neither good nor bad, just a neutral fact. These Pokemon benefit greatly from holding it. Shut up about Trick....none of them can use it, so don't even mention it as you're just wasting space really.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration EmptyTue Feb 19, 2008 10:51 am

I also might add that Shell Bell is a viable option for slower tanks that only have offensive moves. Some Metagross sets do just this, and so are more beneficial than Leftovers. Talking of Letovers, you say it's the best HP Restoring move in the game, which it's not. It's not a move.

Finally, you say you've added the amount of HP Black Sludge restores. I can't see it. If you fix that, I think it's pretty sorted. Is this going to have its own page like Egg Breeding and EV Locations?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Item Analysis - Health Restoration   Item Analysis - Health Restoration Empty

Back to top Go down

Item Analysis - Health Restoration
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon :: Fuego Ironworks :: Metagame Guides-
Jump to: