The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon

HGTP Forums

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gallade

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
noodles

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Gallade   Gallade EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:05 pm

Standard Set Mazx
Gallade @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Gallade Dpmfa475
Adamant
64 HP / 252 ATK / 192 SPD

-Psycho Cut
-Close Combat / Brick Break
-Night Slash
-Ice Punch

This Gallade is pretty much a tank, sporting decent type coverage and a monstrous attack stat. The item is open to many things. It's a perfect set-up for a Choice Band, but if you want more versatility then Life Orb is a decent option, though the latter can eat into its ability to tank.

Psycho Cut gets STAB and will hit anything that doesn't resist it for a lot of damage. Close Combat is much more powerful than Brick Break, but as a tank, sacrificing defences can be a bit risky. Night Slash hits opposing Psychics and Ghosts. Ice Punch deals with those pesky Dragons that otherwise can wall him pretty well.

Counters
As mentioned earlier, Gengar can out-speed it and STAB Shadow Ball it for super effective damage. Other, slower Ghosts such as Dusknoir are also an option, but they face the wrath of Night Slash (although can Shadow Sneak it in beforehand).

Pokemon with Aerial Ace can take it by surprise and do some damage off the bat to it and Skarmory can really come into its own and Drill Peck it while resisting all its attacks.

----------------------------------

Criti-lade ala Maxz
Gallade @ ????????
Gallade Dpmfa475
Adamant
EVs: Further consultancy needed.

Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Close Combat
Leaf Blade

What it Does:

Gallade has access to a whopping 5 Critical Hit moves at its disposal, and here's a pick of the best. It only uses 3 in this set as Close Combat is simply there for STAB, as Gallade sadly hasn't got access to Cross Chop to provide a another Critical hitting option. Anyway, each move, bar Close Combat has a 33% of hitting for twice as much damage as well as completely ignoring any defensive boost which can hit boosters such as Clefable by surprise for a huge amount of damage, especially when backed by that 125 base attack stat. The first 3 moves completely cover the whole mystical 'Dark/Psychic/Ghost' side of things as well as providing 2 reliable STAB moves, which can also break outside just Mystics (with Leaf Blade included), hitting 9 types for Super Effective Damage.

Counters:

It doesn't do anything a normal Gallade doesn't do, so most Physical Tanks and Walls can stop it doing too much damage and cripple it's weak Defense. Skarmory is a perfect counter for it with it's massive defenses, resisting Psycho Cut and (unless Roosting, which I've managed to hit for SE once) taking neutral damage from Close Combat, which isn't very likely due to the drop in defenses. Drill Peck, its most common attacking move is also one of Gallade's two weaknesses and really should do a lot of damage, while taking very little back.

Gallade's second weakness, Ghost isn't too much of a threat as most Ghosts can't actually do that much right off the bat. Foe example, Gengar's Shadow Ball can't penetrate Gallade's massive Sp. Def and it gets a Super Effective STABed Psycho But back. Gengar is an option if Gallade's been weakened by any passive damage, though.
Dusknoir, the other popular Ghost isn't bad, but can only get in first with Shadow Sneak (which isn't very powerful) and faces a 33.3% chance of a Critical Hit Super Effective Night Slash.

Normal powerful Physical moves such an Outrage or Sword Danced anything from a Garchomp should take it down easily enough, so you don't always have to focus on Gallade's 2 weaknesses to do some damage.

----------------------------------

Bulky-Lade Maxz
Gallade @ Leftovers
Gallade Dpmfa475
Adamant
252 Attack/252 HP/6 Sp. Def

Psycho Cut
Brick Break
Night Slash
Bulk Up

What it Does:
This set is more of a surprise set to catch out any Physical Pokemon that switch in to take advantage of it's lower than average Defense and HP stats. The EVs give it's incredible attack stat as big a push as it'll go, as well as strengthening both defenses. The idea of this set is to switch into something like a Starmie that can't hit you for Super Effective damage, as well as having a above average (but not Godly) Sp. Attack that that shouldn't do too much damage to Gallade's naturally great Sp. Defense stat. In this turn, you Bulk Up, meaning if they switch to something more Physically orientated, it has to get past a now boosted Defense stat (with the Leftovers recovery from the switch as a bonus) and also face a boosted Base 125 Attack stat coming back at it. The set sadly has to sacrifice Close Combat as it destroys all the hard work spent Bulking Up, and can't really be used continuously on a sweep due to Gallade's average Speed, with the EVs not making it any easier.

Counters:
What with this set covering both ends of the spectrum, it takes more than simply an un-boosted Garchomp to OHKO it. However, even with a boost behind its Defense, it's still only reaches a maximum of 249, still below its un-boosted Sp. Defense stat, which means a Jolly Banded Chomp should still be able to do up to 82%-97% (and passive damage should wear it down enough for the KO) and an Adamant one should OHKO it. Metagross shrugs off every move apart from Brick Break (which isn't very powerful at Base 75 Power) although being slower doesn't do it any favours.

Skarmory has access to both Brave Bird and Whirlwind, neither of which are favourable for this set. Gallade can only hit it for neutral with Brick Break too. Spiritomb resists both STAB move and takes neutral from Night Slash yet can strike back with STAB SE moves.

Last edited by on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:03 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
noodles

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:10 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but this set seems like several other sets mashed into one. The first three moves are pretty standard, but then the last moveslot is completely open. I think this set would be better with more speed, an offensive fourth move and a Choice Band. For status, use a double status set which no doubt someone will post at some point.

Also, I think those EVs may need tweaking, but I'm too tired to fix that now. I'll sort them tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:22 pm

noodles wrote:
I don't know about anyone else, but this set seems like several other sets mashed into one. The first three moves are pretty standard, but then the last moveslot is completely open. I think this set would be better with more speed, an offensive fourth move and a Choice Band. For status, use a double status set which no doubt someone will post at some point.

Also, I think those EVs may need tweaking, but I'm too tired to fix that now. I'll sort them tomorrow.
I agree with you. There are so many extremely similar sets out there I tried to turn them into one option one, which looked a bit messy.

And look at my name! Who did this to me?!
Back to top Go down
Raylax
Admin
Admin
Raylax

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 4:26 pm

Maxz wrote:

<_<
>_>

*runs and hides*

For some reason, I always thought you were called mazX. No idea why though...

ON TOPIC: That's one hell of a lot of 4th-place moves. I assume that's what noodles meant by 'mashed together sets.' I assume it has plenty HP, so Close Combat should be fine on it, it should be able to handle the recoil.

If my tips are crap, ignore me. It's my first attempt at a 'pimp' Razz
Back to top Go down
https://hgtp.forumotion.com
noodles

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyMon Jan 28, 2008 5:16 pm

Raylax wrote:
Maxz wrote:

<_<
>_>

*runs and hides*

For some reason, I always thought you were called mazX. No idea why though...

ON TOPIC: That's one hell of a lot of 4th-place moves. I assume that's what noodles meant by 'mashed together sets.' I assume it has plenty HP, so Close Combat should be fine on it, it should be able to handle the recoil.

If my tips are crap, ignore me. It's my first attempt at a 'pimp' Razz
@Maxz - Sorry about your name, that's what it was in the analysis. I'll change it.

Good effort Raylax, but CC lowers DEF and Sp. DEF rather than just recoiling.

If others agree I'll change it to a Choice Band set and post a double status set? I also need to fix the Speed EVs.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 1:15 am

Also, as Deepblade has said, Gengar is not a threat is Gallade can easily survive Shadow Ball and hit back with Psycho Cut for a OHKO.

Anyway, I think this set (with the EVs) should be manipulated into a status set alone, whereas another set could use Stone Edge/Leaf Blade and run a Choice Band/Scope Lens. I've also been looking into Bulk Up as a move to use over Swords Dance, and I can't see anything wrong with it as it'd increase its Tanking capabilities in the Physical side, where Gallade is usually let down and would take any Physical switch ins by surprise, as well as the always helpful Attack boost.

And my name's still actually wrong, it's Maxz, not Mazx (although at least it's no longer MazX).

Anyway, has anyone got an objection to a Bulk Up set?
Back to top Go down
GrooveMan.exe
GrooveMan.exe

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Any chance of including a CritHaxGallade for fun and increased length of the analysis?

Yeah it annoys the Metagamers, but I still find it really enjoyable to use. ^^
Back to top Go down
Deepblade

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 2:47 pm

GrooveMan.exe wrote:
Any chance of including a CritHaxGallade for fun and increased length of the analysis?

CritHax Drapion's always fun to use. I might post one up later/tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 3:12 pm

GrooveMan.exe wrote:

That's hidden somewhere is that mammoth of a set, if you combine Leaf Blade (in one of the slashes) with the Scope Lens.
Back to top Go down
GrooveMan.exe
GrooveMan.exe

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyTue Jan 29, 2008 3:43 pm

Then in that case I suggest we separate those movesets out. =P
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 12:44 pm

Criti-lade ala Maxz
Gallade @ Scope Lens
Gallade Dpmfa475
Adamant
EVs: Further consultancy needed.

Psycho Cut
Night Slash
Close Combat
Leaf Blade

What it Does:

Gallade has access to a whopping 5 Critical Hit moves at its disposal, and here's a pick of the best. It only uses 3 in this set as Close Combat is simply there for STAB, as Gallade sadly hasn't got access to Cross Chop to provide a another Critical hitting option. Anyway, each move, bar Close Combat has a 33% of hitting for twice as much damage as well as completely ignoring any defensive boost which can hit boosters such as Clefable by surprise for a huge amount of damage, especially when backed by that 125 base attack stat. The first 3 moves completely cover the whole mystical 'Dark/Psychic/Ghost' side of things as well as providing 2 reliable STAB moves, which can also break outside just Mystics (with Leaf Blade included), hitting 9 types for Super Effective Damage.

How to Beat It:

It doesn't do anything a normal Gallade doesn't do, so most Physical Tanks and Walls can stop it doing too much damage and cripple it's weak Defense. Skarmory is a perfect counter for it with it's massive defenses, resisting Psycho Cut and (unless Roosting, which I've managed to hit for SE once) taking neutral damage from Close Combat, which isn't very likely due to the drop in defenses. Drill Peck, its most common attacking move is also one of Gallade's two weaknesses and really should do a lot of damage, while taking very little back.

Gallade's second weakness, Ghost isn't too much of a threat as most Ghosts can't actually do that much right off the bat. Foe example, Gengar's Shadow Ball can't penetrate Gallade's massive Sp. Def and it gets a Super Effective STABed Psycho But back. Gengar is an option if Gallade's been weakened by any passive damage, though.
Dusknoir, the other popular Ghost isn't bad, but can only get in first with Shadow Sneak (which isn't very powerful) and faces a 33.3% chance of a Critical Hit Super Effective Night Slash.

Normal powerful Physical moves such an Outrage or Sword Danced anything from a Garchomp should take it down easily enough, so you don't always have to focus on Gallade's 2 weaknesses to do some damage.
Back to top Go down
noodles

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyWed Jan 30, 2008 3:09 pm

I'm not convinced about the Critical Hit set here. Firstly, items that up your CH ratio are banned on ONM, so it's pointless having movesets based around them. As for the set, it's pretty much identical to the CB set, except that it gets walled by Dragons. Leaf Blade doesn't exactly hit much other than Swampert harder than Close Combat would, so its a bit of a wasted move really.

I've edited it into the first post, though I may remove it if others feel similarly to me. For a CritHit set, look at Kingdra - he gets Sniper AND Focus Energy, both of which Gallade would kill for on this set.
Back to top Go down
GrooveMan.exe
GrooveMan.exe

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 6:55 am

Protip: this website does not exist soley for ONMtards to crawl over. Someone might want to use this set because it's er, fun.

Yes there are other Pokemon that might get a better crit rate over Gallade, but that doesn't mean the moveset is bad as a standalone.
Back to top Go down
noodles

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyThu Jan 31, 2008 8:22 pm

GrooveMan.exe wrote:
Protip: this website does not exist soley for ONMtards to crawl over. Someone might want to use this set because it's er, fun.

Yes there are other Pokemon that might get a better crit rate over Gallade, but that doesn't mean the moveset is bad as a standalone.
I was under the impression that this website was for helping people with CB. The majority of forums use similar or identical rules to ONM as they're pretty web-standard. Thus, its pointless to include sets using hax items, etc.

My main complaint of the moveset wasn't that something does it better, but rather that it was pretty much identical to the first set, but with less type coverage. I do also feel it would be useful for the forum as a whole to provide 'Verdicts' or whatever you want to call them about each FE Pokemon to evaluate its overall usefullness, etc. An important part of this would be pointing out can do certain sets better.
Back to top Go down
GrooveMan.exe
GrooveMan.exe

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptyFri Feb 01, 2008 4:05 pm

If competitive battle advice was the only thing HGtP was going to offer, it would be... unsuccessful at best.

At any rate, buy going "METAGAME ONRY", you alienate a great deal of players. Hell, even Contest movesets would be viable.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 8:58 am

Gone and done another one. I agree that the Critilade doesn't do too much more, but if you try and feature it any other way, you end up with what we had at the beginning.

Bulky-Lade Maxz
Gallade @ Leftovers
Gallade Dpmfa475
Adamant
252 Attack/252 HP/6 Def

Psycho Cut
Brick Break
Night Slash
Bulk Up

What it Does:
This set is more of a surprise set to catch out any Physical Pokemon that switch in to take advantage of it's lower than average Defense and HP stats. The EVs give it's incredible attack stat as big a push as it'll go, as well as strengthening both defenses. The idea of this set is to switch into something like a Starmie that can't hit you for Super Effective damage, as well as having a above average (but not Godly) Sp. Attack that that shouldn't do too much damage to Gallade's naturally great Sp. Defense stat. In this turn, you Bulk Up, meaning if they switch to something more Physically orientated, it has to get past a now boosted Defense stat (with the Leftovers recovery from the switch as a bonus) and also face a boosted Base 125 Attack stat coming back at it. The set sadly has to sacrifice Close Combat as it destroys all the hard work spent Bulking Up, and can't really be used continuously on a sweep due to Gallade's average Speed, with the EVs not making it any easier.

Counters:
What with this set covering both ends of the spectrum, it takes more than simply an un-boosted Garchomp to OHKO it. However, even with a boost behind its Defense, it's still only reaches a maximum of 249, still below its un-boosted Sp. Defense stat, which means a Jolly Banded Chomp should still be able to do up to 82%-97% (and passive damage should wear it down enough for the KO) and an Adamant one should OHKO it. Metagross shrugs off every move apart from Brick Break (which isn't very powerful at Base 75 Power) although being slower doesn't do it any favours.

Code:
[color=blue]Bulky-Lade[/color] Maxz
[color=blue]Gallade @ Leftovers
[img]http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/sprites/dpmfa/dpmfa475.png[/img]
Adamant
252 Attack/252 HP/6 Def

Psycho Cut
Brick Break
Night Slash
Bulk Up[/color]

[b]What it Does:[/b]

[b]Counters:[/b]

It may not look very different form the pervious two sets, but does things in a very different manner.
Back to top Go down
noodles

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 1:23 pm

GrooveMan.exe wrote:
If competitive battle advice was the only thing HGtP was going to offer, it would be... unsuccessful at best.

At any rate, buy going "METAGAME ONRY", you alienate a great deal of players. Hell, even Contest movesets would be viable.
I was under the impression that this was pretty much an ultimate Metagame guide and analysis site. It's the main thing that people want help on, as competitive battling is such a massive subject. I hardly think it would be unsucessful offering just this.

Regardless, what else could we offer? You say Contest movesets which I feel is largely going to be pointless. From what I've seen on ONM, who will make up the majority of users for this site, hardly any bother with contests. Is it really worth writing a massive guide for only a few people? If you want to write the guide yourself, go ahead, but I relaly don't see it being worthwhile time-wise.

After that, I've no idea what else this site could really successfully offer. What its doing at the moment, it can do really well so I think that at least for now, it'd be best focusing on competitive battling things.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The new Gallade set's looking good, I'll edit it into the first post. Put the spare 6 EVs in Sp. DEF as it won't be boosted by Bulk Up. Also, a decent counter would be Skarmory who takes neutral at best from those attacks and can either hit with Drill Peck / Brave Bird for STAB SE or simply Whirlwind him away if he's got a few boosts under his belt. Spiritomb's also a decent counter as Night Slash only hits him for neutral and he can strike back with STAB super effective moves.
Back to top Go down
Raylax
Admin
Admin
Raylax

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 4:24 pm

Okay, before this turns into noodles/Grooveman warfare, can I say this? -

Firstly, noodles is right that it is mainly Metagame based, but contest movesets may be a feature in the future. I should also say that Grooveman is right in his blunt comment about "ONMTards." Just because another 'mon might be better at the job than the 'mon being analysed, it doesn't make it a crap set. Lots of Grass types can Subseed, but does that mean that all but one of them are crap at it? I doubt it. Unless something incredibly rubbish is suggested (Subbing Shedinja is the first example that springs to mind), please don't discredit a moveset because another 'mon is better at it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Lulz noodles pressed the wrong button. Below is noodle's post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Read up first of all.

My main complaint with the set wasn't that something did it better, just that it was identical to the set that was already up except that it could hit fewer things.

I think Grooveman was saying that movesets should be allowed for non-CB players looking for new sets. It's your call whether you allow hax sets for such people, though I wouldn't put them in the same analysis database as it'll get confusing.

I've also done the EVs for the first Gallade set. I think they'll outspeed enough, though if anyone disagrees please tell me.

Last edited by on Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 4:33 pm

Well I'm glad I've finally made an original set that's acceptable. I can't believe I'd forgotten about Skarmory as I've put it into every other Gallade set, and with Whirlwind being an option, it becomes even more appropriate. Would you mind editing it in? Along with ol' Spiritomb.

And what are ONMTards? They sound like retards from the ONM Forums but it doesn't really fit into any of the mentioned sentences.
Back to top Go down
GrooveMan.exe
GrooveMan.exe

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySat Feb 02, 2008 6:56 pm

Maxz wrote:
Well I'm glad I've finally made an original set that's acceptable. I can't believe I'd forgotten about Skarmory as I've put it into every other Gallade set, and with Whirlwind being an option, it becomes even more appropriate. Would you mind editing it in? Along with ol' Spiritomb.

And what are ONMTards? They sound like retards from the ONM Forums but it doesn't really fit into any of the mentioned sentences.

It has been implied that this website more or less only exists for the perusal of ONM forum goers, which is pointless and depressing on several levels.

In order to make this forum something special, other features beyond the whoring-out of Metagame standards must be introduced. This can range from movesets for fun and contests, to articles and editorials on the pokemon universe in general. Even background detail on the Pokemon itself makes things more interesting. I'd picture every Pokemon entry to be akin to a Pokédome entry, except filled with the opinions of several users, and more interesting to read - most Pokedome entries are like Cream Crackers for the eyes.

But that might actually take some creativity and effort, ZOMGWTF.
Back to top Go down
Raylax
Admin
Admin
Raylax

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 11:02 am

Raylax wrote:
Okay, before this turns into noodles/Grooveman warfare, can I say this? -

Firstly, noodles is right that it is mainly Metagame based, but contest movesets may be a feature in the future. I should also say that Grooveman is right in his blunt comment about "ONMTards." Just because another 'mon might be better at the job than the 'mon being analysed, it doesn't make it a crap set. Lots of Grass types can Subseed, but does that mean that all but one of them are crap at it? I doubt it. Unless something incredibly rubbish is suggested (Subbing Shedinja is the first example that springs to mind), please don't discredit a moveset because another 'mon is better at it.
Read up first of all.

My main complaint with the set wasn't that something did it better, just that it was identical to the set that was already up except that it could hit fewer things.

I think Grooveman was saying that movesets should be allowed for non-CB players looking for new sets. It's your call whether you allow hax sets for such people, though I wouldn't put them in the same analysis database as it'll get confusing.

I've also done the EVs for the first Gallade set. I think they'll outspeed enough, though if anyone disagrees please tell me.

Yo noodles - use the Quote button instead of Edit Razz

I've put noodle's bit in bold. It is noodles, right?
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 11:12 am

Can I ask that we use a:

----------------------------

Between each set to separate them?
Back to top Go down
Raylax
Admin
Admin
Raylax

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 11:17 am

Maxz wrote:
Can I ask that we use a:

Good idea, I've put them in on these sets.
Back to top Go down
Maxz

Maxz

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade EmptySun Feb 03, 2008 11:24 am

Raylax wrote:
Maxz wrote:
Can I ask that we use a:

Good idea, I've put them in on these sets.
Awesome. It was a bit confusing as to where one set ended and another began.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gallade Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gallade   Gallade Empty

Back to top Go down

Gallade
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Hitchhiker's Guide to Pokemon :: Fuego Ironworks :: 4th Gen Moveset Analysis-
Jump to: